Monday 9 July 2007

Week2 Dennis Muren week

A note about the end of week one... Six animators, six names in a hat. Pick the name of an animator and a week later complete a presentation on them. Oh lucky man I pick Dennis Muren. This is handy as when I was getting started in animation I would watch the making of Jurassic Park over and over again, whilst I was building my film sets, trying to get a grasp on the principles of animation.

Monday

A lovely talk with Mr Bruce Steele of glassworks the man behind the really cool virgin train advert with the brilliant compositing of Cary Grant, something to tell my mum about as she really likes this advert. The making of the Stella Artois was really interesting because I stupidly didn't realise that any of the planes in the advert weren't real. It is nice to hear from someone who has been part of a project from live action shoots right through to final compositing.

Tuesday

Richard Villeneuve this morning talking about freelance work. thoroughly nice chap. He talked at length about how to survive as a freelance animator... Always have a second skill. Be willing to do anywork to get your foot through the door. Be willing to adapt to the style of a studio. Never concentrate on just the one area of the business as it will be a struggle when a project comes to an end. He also helped with showreel design his main theme being keep it short and to the point.

Wednesday

My second talk with Joanna Quinn in a year(she also gave a talk at the Bristol school of animation). I dig her work, I like old school animation. I like that she is holding on to trditional animation when all around her people are telling her there is a quicker way a way that she knows she would never be happy with. Her studio is very much what I am trying to get going with my work, a small studio taking on the world. Her producer, Les Mills, was a very wise gent with a knack for quipping.

Thursday

Mike Collins gave a talk about storyboarding and job satisfaction. Having worked at DC and Marvel comics he now works as a storyboard artist for Calon and he also draws the Doctor Who comic that my good friend Andrew likes to read (I must tell him about this meeting). Mike Collins has a real sense of what's important, enough money to live and a little left over for toys. You must enjoy your work! His portfolio was a joy he is clearly a man worth listening to. I think this is probably my favourite talk so far.

Friday

The day of the talk. As usual with these things i have had a last minute panic. Have been up most of the night writing and rewriting my talk.
With my Zohoshow slideshow ready I start talking and feel quite unconfortable less for the fact that I am standing in front of the room and sharing my findings but more for the reason that i am being held back by a cold that is blocking my nose and adding an edge of dizzyness to my already fragile stance.
The talk is over. I missed a bit out but managed to come back to it. It's strange I feel I missed out a slide completely. Surely this can't be the case. What did I say when it popped up?.... here is a lovely slide but I must be moving on. I am drifting now.

No comments: